Welcome to the Winchester Hernia Center
Dr. Thomas Marfing, Jr., MD is a Board Certified General Surgeon who has been in private general surgical practice in Winchester, Virginia, since 1989. Dr. Marfing is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS), and a Member of the American Hernia Society.
We specialize in using outpatient minimally invasive laparoscopic techniques, whenever appropriate, to complete the repair. This approach allows prompt return to work and recreational activities with little or no restrictions, minimal pain, and optimal cosmesis.
We are conveniently located on the western side of Winchester, Virginia, at the intersection of US-37 and US-50 (Amherst Street). We look forward to seeing you in our friendly office.
Winchester Hernia Center Statistics (2013-2015)
- Dr. Marfing performed 802 hernia repair surgeries in calendar years 2013-2015
- One patient (0.12%) developed a surgical site (wound) infection.
- Two patients (0.25%) developed a localized wound hematoma following open inguinal hernia repair that required wound site re-exploration for evacuation of the hematoma. They were discharged home the next day, and recovered promptly.
- Four patients (0.49%) experienced a recurrence following laparoscopic hernia repair of a large inguinal hernia. This required open re-repair as an outpatient. To date, they are recovering well without sequelae. Since these occurrences, extra-large implantable mesh is now available for use, as needed, for particularly large inguinal hernia repair.
- These statistics are consistent with a high-volume/high-quality surgical practice.
- Dr. Marfing continually tracks surgical outcomes in an effort to ensure quality care for his patients
- Dr. Marfing participates with the AHSQC (American Hernia Society Quality Collaborative), a comprehensive national quality improvement effort focused on hernia related medicine. Ask him how this can help improve your surgical care and specifically your hernia related care.